Friday, August 1, 2008

Camilla - Part 1: Bloody Mary

While we were growing up, the upstairs bathroom at my house contained a portal to a dimension full of ghosts and spirits. It was a doorway to another realm. A room in which we dared not sit alone in the dark. Well, that's what Harry, Jill, and I thought anyway.

It was the hub for many of our ghost hunting activities. But one ritual in particular that stands out in my mind was Bloody Mary. I think it's a standard urban legend, but when Harry brought the idea from St. Louis I thought we had stumbled upon a portal to the afterlife. It was usually just me and Harry doing it, but I think Jill found the courage to join us a couple of times.

We would sit in the bathroom with the lights off (and it was pitch black with the lights off). Then we would say "Bloody Mary" three times and look into the full-length mirror on the wall and we would see the face of Bloody Mary!!! I saw it almost every time we did it. It was amazing, and scary, all at the same time. And so were our imaginations.

We did various other ghostly things in the bathroom, but Bloody Mary is the one that stands out in my memory.


*** In March of 2000, I recorded a song called "Camilla". It was about our ghost hunting while growing up. It talks about Bloody Mary, the Spirit Bird (as discussed in this previous post), and a dream Jill had of a white mannequin-thing eating marshmallows that scared her half to death! Tune in next Friday for the continuation of the Camilla story.

Click here to listen to "Camilla"
Click here to read the lyrics to the song

No comments: