Friday, July 18, 2008

The Spirit Bird

The house where we grew up was a very special house. For if you sat real still and quiet in the dark and had been a good boy or girl, you just might hear the faint whistle of the Spirit Bird, sent from Heaven itself! So that's what Harry and I told my younger sister, Jill, when we were young.

I remember sitting in the living room in the dark and telling her to be quiet and listen for the Spirit Bird. I told her I had read about the Spirit Bird in the Bible and it only visited special kids. And Harry backed me up by claiming he had read the same passages. So while I was whispering about the Bird, Harry would sneak across the room and start whistling like a bird.

"There it is!" I would say. "Can you hear it?"

"Yes!" Jill would reply with excitement. She must have thought she was really special if the Spirit Bird was visiting her.

And on very rare occasions one might catch a glimpse of it. That's when one of us would have a flashlight and give a quick flash in the direction Jill wasn't looking so she only caught a glimpse of it out of her peripheral vision. A bird that glowed in the dark, how magical!

I remember doing this on a few different occasions, it wasn't just a one-time joke.

And Jill, if you are reading this, I hate to tell you the Spirit Bird isn't real.

{tweet-tweet-tweet}

Or is it???

No comments: