Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy New Year

It was almost midnight on December 31, 1984. For some strange reason Harry and I were at his house alone (our families were probably together somewhere). We were both thirteen and looking for something special to do for the new year. I'm sure it didn't take us too long to come up with this idea.

He had a bean bag. It was the kind that had a zipper and inside were thousands of very small Styrofoam balls. He also had a ski mask. And that is all we needed to make this a memorable holiday.

As midnight drew near, Harry donned the ski mask. The countdown on TV began. We unzipped the bean bag. He assumed the kneeling position. And at the stroke of midnight he held his breath and submerged his head in the small sea of Styrofoam balls. What we hadn't taken into consideration was static electricity. When he finally pulled his head out of the bag, there were Styrofoam balls everywhere. The mask now looked white.

But we were only half done, I still had to take my turn. This time we headed outside to the small front porch. I suppose there are weirder things to see on New Years, but anyone driving by that night would have to wonder why I was outside in the cold sticking my head in a bean bag. And I have one piece of advice for those who decide to try this: when your head is inside the bag, DO NOT INHALE.

Neither the cold nor the mess mattered, for 1985 had arrived!!!

2008 07-04 Their first house

This is the house (as of June of 2008) where we rang in 1985.

No comments: