Monday, June 16, 2008

Our Titanic

Not far from our town are the strip pits. These are deep holes that the coal mine dug out and have since filled with water. They are considered very dangerous because of their depth. And there have been a few people drown in them over the years.

So with that background on the strip pits, let us begin today's story. Harry and I went out to the strip pits with a friend. We had an inflatable raft with us. It was time to take our adventures to the water.

We arrived, inflated the raft, and headed out with paddles. Now I am not one that loves water. I might be able to swim if my life depended on it, but I don't plan on ever putting that to the test. But on that day I almost did.

We had paddled quite a ways out into the muddy waters and had just settled in for a little relaxation. Then we heard the ~hiss~ sound that one does not want to hear while in the middle of a deep, dirty lake on an inflatable raft. Somehow the raft sprung a leak. We tried to paddle to the shore but we did not get far. The raft quickly took on water and before we knew it the raft was riding on us. I cannot remember if I had a life-vest on or not, but I know I was hanging on to that deflating raft for dear life.

Eventually all three of us made it back to the shore. Our aquatic adventures were over for the day. We dried off as best we could and headed back home.

No comments: